Breaking the Spirit of Fear
2 Timothy 1:7 (NKJV) For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
“Fear,” in the Greek, has to do with being fainthearted and loosing the moral fortitude to follow the Lord. In other words, our confidence gets stripped and we compromise.
Ephesians 6:11-12 (CEV) . . . defend yourself against the devil’s tricks. We are not fighting against humans. We are fighting against forces and authorities and against rulers of darkness and powers in the spiritual world.
THE MISSION OF FEAR
The spirit of fear magnifies and heightens life’s problems; until we become fainthearted and abandon God’s ways.
- We get a bad doctors report. It discourages us. But the spirit of fear heightens that discouragement.
- Our spouse hurts our feelings. But the spirit of fear will blow that situation out of proportion.
- Our children do something they shouldn’t. The spirit of fear causes us to overreact and hurt the relationship.
Fear is on a mission to consume our lives and control us.
Psalm 56:3-4 (NLT) When I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?
Fear can only work when you cast away your confidence. We need to choose faith over fear.
Hebrews 10:35-36 (NIV) So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
BREAKING THE SPIRIT OF FEAR
Hebrews 6:16-18 (TPT) It is very common for people to swear an oath by something greater than themselves, for the oath will confirm their statements and end all dispute. So in the same way, God wanted to end all doubt and confirm it even more forcefully . . . . God added his vow to the promise. So it is impossible for God to lie for we know that his promise and his vow will never change . . . .This is where we find his strength and comfort, for he empowers us to seize what has already been established.
- Build yourself up on the promises of God. God’s promises produce faith, hope, and confidence.
1 John 4:18 (MSG) There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear. Since fear is crippling, a fearful life—fear of death, fear of judgment—is one not yet fully formed in love.
- Build yourself up in the love of God.
Romans 4:20 (AMP) No unbelief or distrust made him [Abraham] waver (doubtingly question) concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong and was empowered by faith as he gave praise and glory to God.
- Build yourself up by magnifying God. Your future is on the other side of your fear. So magnify God instead of your problem.
Psalm 94:19 (NABRE) When cares increase within me, your comfort gives me joy.