It Is Written Part 1
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (The Message) Every part of Scripture is God-breathed and useful—showing us truth, exposing our rebellion, correcting our mistakes, training us to live God’s way. Through the Word we are put together and shaped up for the tasks God has for us.
WHY THE BIBLE CAN BE TRUSTED
1. The Bible is historically accurate. The Bible has archaeological confirmation. Even the Hittite Empire, which was used to call the Bible into question, was found in the early 1900s.
Matthew 24:35 (NIV) Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.
Psalm 33:4 (NIV) For the word of the LORD is right and true.
The Bible has about 40 writers The earliest books of the Bible (Genesis and Job) were written around 1400 BC. The last book of the Bible (Revelation) was written around 90 AD. So, the Bible is between 1,900 to 3,400 years old and has never changed.
Our American History Textbooks are also written by various authors, but these are experts with Ph.Ds.
1 Corinthians 1:26-28 (The Voice) Look carefully at your call, brothers and sisters. By human standards, not many of you are deemed to be wise. Not many are considered powerful. Not many of you come from royalty, right? But celebrate this: God selected the world’s foolish to bring shame upon those who think they are wise . . . so He could invalidate the claims of those who think those things are significant.
Publishers often hire distinguished scholars to be the main editor and oversee the project. A textbook goes before several review committees, an open public comment period, and a final board review. Yet, history textbooks are full of errors with so called “facts” that change every few years. For instance:
- Did Ben Franklin discover electricity? Or William Gilbert?
- Did Columbus discover America? Or was it the Vikings?
- Was Napoleon really the shortest emperor? No.
- Did Einstein fail math as a kid? No.
The Bible has stood the test of time. But man’s best efforts can’t even stand the test of 10 years.
Psalm 148:5-6 (NLT) Let every created thing give praise to the LORD, for he issued his command, and they came into being. He set them in place forever and ever. His decree will never be revoked.
2. The Bible is scientifically accurate. Science changes and evolves but you never have to update the science in the Bible.
In 1799 George Washington awoke with a bad sore throat. His physicians drained an excessive amount of blood from him; aiding in his death. People actually believed that illness stemmed from an overabundance of blood. But the Bible knew better.
Leviticus 17:11 (NLT) . . . for the life of the body is in its blood.
The Bubonic Plague killed 30-60% of Europe’s population because, at that time, they had no concept of contagion. But the Bible understood how sickness spread.
Leviticus 13:4 (NLT) . . . the priest will quarantine the person for seven days.
Psalm 12:6 (NIV) And the words of the LORD are flawless, like silver purified in a crucible, like gold refined seven times.
3. The Bible is prophetically accurate. There are over 1,000 prophecies in scripture, over 300 detailed prophecies for Jesus alone. The last was given 400 years before Jesus lived.
In the book Science Speaks, Peter Stoner, using the modern science of probability, calculated the chances of one man fulfilling just eight of those 300 prophecies.
- Micah 5:2 = The Christ being born in Bethlehem (Matt. 2:1).
- Malachi 3:1 = A forerunner preparing the Christ’s way (Luke 1:17).
- Zech. 9:9 = Enters Jerusalem as a king riding on a colt (Matt. 21:5).
- Zech. 13:6 = Betrayed by a disciple, causing His death (Matt. 26:48).
- Zech. 11:12 = Betrayed for exactly 30 pieces of silver (Matt. 27:3).
- Zech. 11:13 = Those 30 pieces thrown in the temple (Matt. 27:5).
- Isa 53:7 = Christ makes no defense for Himself (John 19:8-9).
- Ps. 22:16 = Christ’s hands and feet will be pierced (Luke 24:40).
One person fulfilling these 8 prophecies is 1 in 10 quadrillion. (10,000,000,000,000,000,000)! If we take 10 quadrillion silver dollars and laid them on the face of Texas, they would cover the entire state of Texas down two feet deep. One man fulfilling these 8 prophecies would be like marking one silver dollar, blindfolding a man, letting him travel as far as he wants, and having him pick up the marked silver dollar on his first try!
Jesus Christ perfectly fulfilled every single one of the 300+ prophecies, not just 8. The odds of someone doing that, who was not the Messiah, are too great to even figure. It is impossible. The fact that Jesus fulfilled over 300 prophecies is proof beyond mathematical comprehension that the Bible is the Word of God.
2 Peter 1:21 (NIV) For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
SO WHAT SHOULD WE DO?
- We should accept the authority of God’s Word.
- We should receive God’s Word with an open heart.
- We should respond to God’s Word with obedience.
John 8:31-32 (NIV) Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
4. The Bible has transforming power.