Galatians Part 1: The Two Gospels
Galatians 1:6-7 (NIV) I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel-which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ.
- The Gospel of Grace. = Freedom
Focuses on God and justification through God’s love.
- The Gospel of Works. = Bondage
Focuses on self and justification through God’s law.
Galatians 2:19 (NIV) For through the law I died to the law [religious system] so that I might live for God.
- The Gospel of Works serves the system.
- The Gospel of Grace serves the savior.
Ephesians 2:8-10 (NIV) It is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
How do I become godly?
2 Corinthians 3:17-18 (AMP) Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty (emancipation from bondage, freedom). And all of us, as with unveiled face, [because we] continued to behold [in the Word of God] as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another; [for this comes] from the Lord [Who is] the Spirit.
THE LAW VS. GRACE
- The Law focuses on what you do.
- Grace focuses on what Jesus has done.
- The Law focuses on getting God’s approval.
- Grace focuses on receiving God’s love.
- The Law focuses on external duty.
- Grace focuses on an internal relationship.
HOW DO I LIVE UNDER GRACE
- Fall in love with Jesus.
1 John 5:3, 12 (NIV) This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome [if you love Him]. He who has the Son [has a love relationship] has life; he who does not have the Son of God [no love relationship] does not have life.
John 14:15 (NIV) If you love me, you will obey what I command.
- Don’t allow condemnation.
Romans 8:1-2 (NIV) Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.
- Make the choice every day.
- I will focus on God, His goodness, and living closer to Him.
- I will not focus on self, my goodness, which will pull me further from Him.