Galatians Part 3: Salvation By Promise
- Chapter 1: Paul introduces two gospels: grace and works/law.
- Chapter 2: Paul deals with people swinging back and forth.
- Chapter 3: Paul begins to re-explain the gospel. He brings people back to Abraham: to salvation by promise, not law.
Galatians 3:8-9; 17; 19; 24-25 (NIV) Scripture foresaw that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, and announced the gospel in advance to Abraham: “All nations will be blessed through you.” So those who rely on faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith . . . . The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise . . . . What, then, was the purpose of the law? . . . the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.
The Law’s purpose was to show us our need of a Savior. It was to prove to us that we cannot save ourselves.
Galatians 3:24 (NLT) The law was our guardian until Christ came; it protected us until we could be made right with God through faith.
- Works says, “We need to do right.” External
- Grace says, “We need to be made right.” Internal
John 3:7 (NIV) You must be born again.
GOD’S FREE GIFT
- Salvation is a free gift. You can’t earn this.
Romans 6:23 (NIV) The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord.
- This gift is received by faith.
Ephesians 2:8-9 (NIV) For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.
- This gift is available to everyone. Everyone can come and allow God to do His work on the inside of them.
Romans 10:13 (NIV) Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.
- This gift comes only through Christ. Jesus is the only one who dealt with the problem.
Romans 5:15 (NCV) . . . many people have received God’s gift of life by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ.
John 14:6 (NIV) I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
Acts 4:12 (NIV) Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
- This gift changes us.
Titus 2:11-12 (NIV) For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. It [the grace of God] teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age.