FOUR KINDS OF LOVE
- Eros—a romantic love based on physical desire.
- Philos—a friendship love based on shared experiences.
- Storge—a family love based on brotherly affection.
- Agape—a divine love based on intimacy with God.
- Agape is an unconditional love.
- It is not short-sighted.
- It sees God’s original intention.
- It looks beyond sin to the treasure within.
Romans 5:5 (TLB) . . . God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love.
Only agape love can pull out the hidden treasure in people.
- Love can break down our walls.
- Love can define our lives.
- Love can defeat death and darkness.
- Love can change our hearts and families.
- Love can saved the lost and suffering.
- When everything else has failed, love can.
1 Corinthians 13:8 (NIV) Love never fails.
Psalms 86:15 (CEV) You, Lord God, are kind and merciful. You don’t easily get angry, and your love can always be trusted.
1 Corinthians 13:7 (BBE) Love has the power of under-going all things, having faith in all things, hoping all things.
Love not only makes it through, it believes it through. It never loses hope ’cause God’s love can always be trusted.
LIFE WITHOUT LOVE
- All I say will be ineffective.
1 Corinthians 13:1 (NIV) If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
- All I know will be insignificant.
1 Corinthians 13:2 (NIV) If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge . . . but have not love, I am nothing.
- All I believe will be insufficient.
1 Corinthians 13:2 (NIV) . . . if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
Galatians 5:6 (CW) Christ’s love for us doesn’t depend on whether we’ve been circumcised or not. The thing that matters to Him is that we demonstrate our faith in Him by works [acts] of love.
- All I give will be incomplete.
1 Corinthians 13:3 (NIV) If I give all I possess to the poor . . . but do not have love, I gain nothing.
I’m only eternally rewarded when love is my motivator.
- All I accomplish will be inadequate.
1 Corinthians 13:3 (NIV) [If I] give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
1 Corinthians 14:1 (AMP) Eagerly pursue and seek to acquire [this] love [make it your aim, your great quest].