LOVE CAN PART 2: ASPECTS OF AGAPE
Romans 5:8 (NIV) God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- Agape love is an unconditional love.
- It loves us when we are at our worst.
John 3:16 (NIV) God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Agape love is a giving love, not a taking love.
- This love is marked by generosity.
1 John 3:16 (NIV) This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.
- Agape love serves others, instead of self.
- This love creates win-win situations.
A LIFE WITH LOVE
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 (NIV) “Love is patient, love is kind.”
- Love is not quick-tempered.
- Love does not lose heart.
- Love shows undeserved kindness.
- A kindness marked by serving.
We’re not talking about staying in abuse. We are talking about the “small foxes that spoil the vines.”
“It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.”
- Love does not compare itself to others.
- Comparison always creates envy or pride.
2 Corinthians 10:12 (CW) We’re not going to fall into the trap of comparing ourselves with those who think they are better than others. They measure themselves by themselves and among themselves, which is not wise.
- We are to compare ourselves only to Jesus’s standard.
- The grass isn’t greener on the other side, it’s greener where you water it!
“It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking”
- Love does not deflate a person’s value.
- How can I pull out of you the treasure God placed in you, if I’m not treating you like you are a treasure.
“It is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.”
This was my secret to marriage . . .
Ephesians 4:26 (NIV) In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry.
“Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.”
- Love isn’t glad when other people are hurt.
- Love is glad when other people are healed.
“It always protects [love covers a multitude of sins], always trusts [God], always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
When we love people in this way we bring out the best in them, instead of the worst. Lose this kind of love into the situations of your life and watch what God will do!