Love Like Jesus Part 1
Romans 5:5 (TLB) . . . God has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with His love.
The Three Forms of Love:
- Eros—a selfish love based on physical traits.
- Philos—a friend love based on shared experiences.
- Agape—a divine love based on intimacy with God.
Everything in life works when you pursue agape love.
1 Corinthians 14:1 (AMP) Eagerly pursue and seek to acquire [this] love [make it your aim, your great quest].
What is God’s love
John 3:16 (NIV) For God so loved [agapao] the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- God’s love is unconditional.
- God’s love is sacrificial. We must be willing to sacrifice.
- God’s love is personable. Not distant. We know God’s love through the person of Jesus.
- God’s love is acceptable. We can receive and accept it.
- God’s love is accessible. It’s for everyone, not just a few.
The password to God’s love is Jesus. Jesus give us access to agape. So the first step towards love is not toward people, it’s toward God. We love because God first loved us.
1 John 4:9-12, 16, 19 (NIV) This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. We love because he first loved us.
We get in on everything when we pursue the right thing.
Proverbs 21:21 (NIV) Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity and honor.
- Pursue spiritual gifts = spiritual gifts.
Romans 11:29 (KJV) For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance [irrevocable].
- Pursue knowledge = knowledge.
1 Corinthians 8:1 (ISV) Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.
- Pursue faith = faith. Galatians 5:6 tells us, “Faith works by love.”
1 Corinthians 13:1-3 (TLB) If I had the gift of prophecy and knew all about what is going to happen in the future, knew everything about everything, but didn’t love others, what good would it do? Even if I had the gift of faith so that I could speak to a mountain and make it move, I would still be worth nothing at all without love. If I gave everything I have to poor people, and if I were burned alive for preaching the Gospel but didn’t love others, it would be of no value whatever.
Pursue love = spiritual gifts (compassion healed), knowledge (God’s wisdom is pure and peace loving), faith (faith works by love), healthy relationships, joy, laughter and peace.
Love Like Jesus
- Say it. I love you. People need to hear it.
- Write it. Put it in writing! Text it! #iloveyou
- Give it. You are more important than my schedule. I love you so much I paused my life to get you this.
- Forgive it. We are never more like Jesus than when we forgive. It’s hard, but your first step isn’t towards that person, it is towards Jesus.
- Live it. Life is too short. Love the people in your life. This is why everyone needs a small group.