It Is Written Part 4
John 8:31-32 (NIV) Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”
HOLDING ON TO GOD’S WORD
1. Make it the foundation of my life. Work God’s Word into your everyday life.
Matthew 7:24 (NIV) Everyone who hears these words of mine, and puts them into practice, is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.
DON’T BUILD YOUR LIFE ON:
- Popular culture. The popular will come and go, but truth never changes. You have to decide what you will allow to influence you.
Exodus 23:2 (NIV) Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong.
- Tradition. Traditions are great, unless we elevate them above God’s Word or lose the meaning behind them.
Mark 7:8 (NIV) You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to human traditions.
- Reason. “Well, I thought about it and this seems right to me. I did considered the Bible, but things have changed.” In our reasoning we redefined marriage, redefined sexuality, etc.
Proverbs 16:25 (NIV) There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.
- Feelings. Your feelings will lie to you. Feelings are wonderful, but they can’t be trusted as our guide.
Judges 21:25 (MSG) At that time there was no king in Israel. People did whatever they felt like doing.
HOW DO I HOLD ON?
- What do I do when I don’t understand? TRUST GOD!
Romans 3:4 (Aramaic) For God is true, and every person lies.
- What do I do when I don’t like it? I don’t have to like it to do it. Don’t adjust the Bible to fit you, adjust you to fit it.
Much of your Bible will not be understood until you obey it. You’ll never know how much better life could be until you put God’s Word into practice.
2. Make it grow deeper in my life. How? Make it the first part of my daily life. First 15 – 5 in Word, 5 in Worship, 5 in Prayer.
Matthew 6:33 (NIV) But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Colossians 3:16 (NIV) Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly.
- Get a translation you like.
- Get a study Bible.
- Get in a small group. You become what you let in your life.
3. Make it a weapon for the challenges of life.
Ephesians 6:13, 17 (NIV) Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when [not if] the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground…Take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Ephesians 6:17 (MSG) God’s Word is an indispensable weapon.
Matthew 4:3-4 (NIV) The tempter came to him and said, “If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.” Jesus answered, “It is written…”
4. Scripture memory. Memorize a few verses.
Psalm 119:9-11 (NIV) How can a young person stay on the path of purity? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Your life could be better if you would hide God’s Word in your heart.